Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Welcome to 2016

Since I have recently learned that some people actually read my blog, I thought I should finally write something again.

I arrived here again a little over a week ago.  We were able to complete two open heart surgeries last week, one for rheumatic valvular disease and the other for a woman who had likely had endocarditis in the fall.  Both women are doing well and have been transferred out of the ICU and to the recovery ward.  Dr. Cabral also was able to place a pacemaker/defibrillator.  We continue to have delays related to availability of rare blood types.  The blood bank works hard to maintain a list of donors for patients with these blood types, but of course donors also need their own blood!  We continue to work toward improving this system, and we are grateful to our generous regular blood donors.


For those new readers, I invite you to review the archived blog posts.  These posts review many of the things that we do here in Shisong and introduce some of our many projects and collaborators.  I particularly invite you to visit my initial post here:  http://shisongheartcall.blogspot.com/2013/10/cameroon-2013.html

As I read it, only a couple of things have changed.  As you can see, after my initial 6 month stay, my subsequent visits have been shorter but more frequent. 

Prayer requests:  for those readers who pray, please consider praying for our current patients, particularly those awaiting funding from our current fundraiser (see December 2015 post), and for the Horne and BurketThoene families who are ending their service here in Cameroon this year and discerning their plans for returning to the US.

From today’s liturgy:
          Jesus proclaimed the Good News of the kingdom
          and cured all kinds of sickness among the people.
          Alleluia!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr. Dailor,
    Just found out about your work in Shisong on this blog. That's very awesome. Would love to volunteer there someday. I'm a Catholic pre-med student and have been volunteering on medical missions extensively in Mexico and Peru. Look forward to reading your future blog posts.
    God Bless ����

    ReplyDelete