Monday, February 24, 2014

Cardiac Center vs. the Hospital

Although sometimes this sounds like political infighting, yesterday it referred to a sporting event.  The men of the Cardiac Center took on the men of the Hospital in volleyball and football (soccer), while the women challenged in a handball match.  I had not been asked to play, but on my arrival to watch was informed (begged) that I should go and change since the women’s team for the Cardiac Center did not have enough players.  I agreed to this, since I thought that we were playing volleyball!  I ended up on a handball team – a sport that I had never even heard of, much less played before.  These women were serious, and somehow the Cardiac Center won despite having me on their team (we also had to adopt a couple of hospital staff to make the team complete).  It turns out that handball is quite popular in Africa as well as in eastern countries.  Fortunately, there is a Wikipedia article about it so that after I was finished playing I could find out what I was supposed to be doing.  Actually, the game is not so complicated, but there are rules and it would probably be good to know them ahead of time.  You know, like whether you can run with the ball or not.  You (and Sr. Jethro) will be relieved to know that I suffered no serious injuries.  The men split their games, with the Hospital taking the volleyball tournament (wearing yellow) and the Cardiac Center winning the football game (in white).  As far as I can tell, a good time was had by all.





No comments:

Post a Comment